Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Evolution 8 - "Frame it up and let's go!"

Years ago, during a visit to one of my favorite places in the world to play golf, The Honors Course in Ooltewah, TN, I picked up a new phrase.

Now, most of you dear readers know I'm one to enjoy putting together a game among the several golfers going out in my group(s). Get the game set, and let's get balls in the air!

At The Honors Course, our friends John Turley, Larry White and others had their own phrase for getting it organized. Turley would say to someone, anyone (he isn't the type to do it himself), "Frame it up." Then someone would turn over a paper place mat, draw a couple of vertical lines, a couple of horizontals, and divide up the players.

There would be 2-balls playing each other, 4-balls playing each other and pairings made up on the back of that place mat, then the framer would fold it up, put it into his pocket or his golf bag, and off we'd go.

The phrase lives on for me both on and off the course. In fact, the first step of our Project 1 process at BURRIS is what we call the "Framework." You're putting things in context, setting your coordinates and axes, getting the project and assignment framed up before digging into the details. The "Framework" comes before the "Free-For-All," which is our all-hands brainstorming exercise.

Maybe it's my nature, maybe it's because I'm the guy who is usually framing up the golf game, but the "Framework" phase is my favorite among the four phases of our Project 1 process. I like setting the thing up, then watching it run.

We're just about to begin framing up a new project for High Point University. I'll keep you posted if you're interested.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home