Monday, February 14, 2005

About Handicaps in Golf

Let's make this the year we eliminate the word "about" when referring to your golf handicap.

How many times have you heard - heck, how many times have you answered the question, "What's your handicap?" with "Oh, it's about three," or "eight, I think," or "maybe 21..."?

Say what you want about the USGA's handicap system, "about" doesn't figure into it. Your handicap is in black and white, a specific number, and your index is even more precise; it comes with a decimal and a digit to the right of that decimal.

So when we're framing up our matches, let's avoid the "about." Your handicap is +1, Jeff. And, Brad, a +2 means you give two to the field.

And, hey, what do you say we count the number of clubs in your bag before we begin?

1 Comments:

Blogger Storm Bear said...

One of the things I adore about golf is the self-scoring and policing side of it. Touching on Darrell's themes, breaking the rules in golf is like playing Battleship with someone who has an unlimited supply of replacement ships. What then becomes the point of the game? It then reminds me of a Mark Twain quote, "Golf is a good walk spoiled."

Since I stick wiith the rules, I tend to keep my handicap to myself! It is high as Heaven, but at least it is an honest, if not embarrassing number.

(Ok, at least my handicap is not in the triple digits... now... )

4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home