Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Today's "Huh?" Moment

Today's AAF Marketing Brief newsletter (you can subscribe for yourself here) brought to my attention a piece in The Wall Street Journal about Gap's new viral web/marketing campaign.

Created by Crispin Porter + Bogusky (the friendly folks who brought us Burger King's "Subservient Chicken"), an animated web site takes us inside, presumably, a Gap dressing room. It's cool, but as far as I can tell, pointless. (You'll waste 30 minutes there, so be careful if you visit the site.)

In fact, when I went there myself, one of our Burrisites happened to be in the neighborhood of my desk and stuck around to see what in the heck was going on. Later in the day - as I was preparing for this post - here's what I told her about my experience:

"Your question regarding www.watchmechange.com for The Gap - 'What's the point?' - is right on. Unlike the 'Subservient Chicken,' which drove home the BK 'have it your way' message about something other than a burger, this site, though cool, doesn't do anything, I guess, but try to convince someone that The Gap is cooler than he or she may think."

According to the article in The Wall Street Journal: "Early reviews are mixed. Comments circulating on the Internet show that some people find it a great way to waste time at the office; others are uncomfortable watching it. 'My immediate reaction is definitely negative,' says Lauren Schmidt, a 28-year-old account director at a technology public-relations firm in New York City. While it won't stop her from buying the chain's clothes, she says, 'I have always regarded Gap as more tactful than that.'

"Gap's Web characters are definitely saucier than those used by other clothing retailers, such as L.L. Bean and Sears Holdings Corp.'s Lands' End. Figures at those company sites aim to replicate shoppers' measurements, or body shapes, in order to help ensure a proper garment fit.

"The watchmechange site also sets a very different tone from Gap's current advertising campaign in stores and on television, which features a parade of musicians such as Joss Stone, Liz Phair and Jason Mraz. In the TV commercials, developed by the retailer's creative agency, Laird+Partners, the singers wear Gap jeans and perform remakes of their favorite songs."

What's the point, indeed! Can you help me on this?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home