Saturday, December 03, 2005

If I Were King...

A column in the November 21 (weekly) issue of Furniture/Today by Jay McIntosh (you can find it here) lays out what the author would do "If I were the next ruler of the High Point market..."

This is a particularly popular parlor game for me as well. My colleagues often hear me tell them what I would do if CEO of a particular company or head of some brand, and I often ask them and others what they would do in similar situations.

I like McIntosh's approach. After all, the High Point (NC) furniture expo's "Market Authority" is looking for a new CEO, and with the threat from Las Vegas as well as the increased pressure from the city and the furniture companies, it's an important time in the history of, perhaps, the last of the area's legacy industries. So it's not only a good time to be asking these questions; it's a critical time to get some answers.

But I can't help but think most of his questions - and answers - are superficial, issues dealing with hotel costs and parking and the like. I much more like the final comments of Cheminne Taylor-Smith's column in the November 14 (monthly) issue of InFurniture, where she says, "Maybe this should be the end of High Point, and the birth of a new one. One that's more streamlined, that puts the emphasis back on the buyer where it should be. One where we all work together to make High Point a good experience - for visitors and for those of us who are here year-round."

In the face of dramatic change, I've always felt the best tactic is your own dramatic change. For High Point - as well as, perhaps, for the furniture industry - it's a good time to start over.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In complete agreement - Start over, make the concessions and they will come. High Point has already shot themselves in the foot, and Las Vegas is simply pushing the foot further up their _______!!!

2:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home