Sunday, September 25, 2005

Starting Over - 2

After meeting with my friend and customer regarding a fresh start in his hospitality business (click here for Part 1), I'd have to say that "starting over" isn't in his plans.

It's not that he's not intrigued with the idea. It's more that he can't get beyond the legacy of his situation, "the way we've always done it."

If it were up to me, if I were CEO for six weeks (or months) - a favorite refrain of mine - here's what I would do:
- Specialize the properties I offer, preferably those that might fit neatly into a "luxury" or "best on the beach" category.
- Elevate my service approach, offering concierge service, kitchen stocking options, and other luxe services that my customers would appreciate...and pay for.
- Limit my reservation services to encourage internet booking. The capability is there, the customer increasingly prefers self-service, and it's clearly more efficient. Put the people hours into service, not here.
- Have the same in-house contact who works with the property owners work with the renters as well. Who better to be accountable?
- Check-ins should be at the property, not in an office. That way the reservations agent will see the condition as the customer does and address anything that needs it right away.
- Ask owners how much they really want their place to rent. Many don't want the wear and tear week after week of rentals can bring. The right model might allow me to rent for shorter than full weeks, still make money for the owner and for me, and keep the place in better condition.
- Have a set of standards for decorating, linens, features such as cable, DVD, wireless, etc. If you're renting from me, each property is different in terms of layout and location, but all are the same in terms of what you can expect to find there.

There's a short list. Next time I'll outline a marketing plan.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good blog. Keep it running!

1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home