Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Squawk Box

I don't watch a lot of TV (how many say that...but actually mean it?). Well, I probably watch more than you think.

Here's a list of what I TiVo for viewing later:
- The West Wing - It's pretty good again, and the upcoming "Live" debate between Alan Alda and Jimmy Smits will likely be one we wish we could see from the actual presidential candidates in the '08 election.
- Rome - On HBO Sundays. Decadent, historical, surprising every episode. My favorite among HBO's Sunday night dramas is "Deadwood," but "The Sopranos" and "Rome" are close behind.
- Commander In Chief - Very, very good. Another fantasy president, but sometimes fantasy is better than realism (especially if we're talking about elected officials).
- Over There - Outstanding, film-quality program about the Iraq conflict (war) and its impact on individual lives.

In addition, I try to watch CNBC's Squawk Box several mornings from 7 to 10. It's on in the background, and every once in a while I'll look up and catch a story, especially breaking news. Here's Rebecca Quick and the program's host, Mark Haines. Ms. Quick is worth watching all by herself.

So often now, the Internet is where we (I) get our (my) news. I find that CNBC can give me all I need in the mornings.

2 Comments:

Blogger sesjr said...

Mark,

Your blog inspired me to create one, mostly for my personal use, yet will include some "commentary" from time to time...anyway, I just wanted to tell you that and hope you are well....

Steve

12:26 PM  
Blogger Mark Burris - BURRIS said...

Regarding my TV shows, I came across the following announcement in USA Today (11/2/05):

Title: "Over There" ends tour of duty
Body: "FX won't renew the Iraq war drama 'Over There.' The series from co-creator and executive producer Steven Bochco was the first to depict an ongoing war. 'Over There' premiered in July to critical acclaim and 4.1 million viewers but failed to find an audience, averaging 2.1 million viewers over most of its 13 episodes and then just 1.4 million for last week's finale. The cancellation 'was motivated entirely by "Over There's" ratings performance and our belief that the numbers were reflective of what the show was about, rather than its quality or entertainment value,' FX president John Landgraf said in a statement."

Looks as though I've gained an hour or so per week...

6:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home