Saturday, October 08, 2005

Bank of America changes my mind

I can't believe this post.

I cannot remember when I had something positive to say about a bank, any bank. My professional experience with them has been spotty, in fact, because they are tigers that usually change their spots all too frequently.

But this is not a rant; it's a rave.

While on a photo shoot near Kiawah Island recently, I needed to transfer some funds from one account to another. I went online, found the nearest Bank of America branch, and drove right over. Here's what I found:
Bank of America 1 - Lobby

This is the lobby of the new banking center in the Freshfields Retail Village just outside the gates of Kiawah. As you can see, it's beautiful inside, inviting, comfortable. But the decor is only the beginning.

Take a look at this:
Bank of America 2 - Greeter

This young lady stands at a "welcome desk" just inside the main entrance. She greeted me, asked if she could help, and within seconds she was typing my info into her computer and taking care of my transaction. When she finished, she sent me over to the teller line to complete my business. Here's the teller line:
Bank of America 3 - Teller Line

If there had been a line, I could have whiled away my time watching CNN or CNBC or The Weather Channel on more plasma screens.

Bank of America's president said in Fortune recently that one of the company's focuses is now on "retail banking" and bringing service back to its "consumer" customers. And according to the greeter in the Freshfields banking center, this is the prototype direction for all new banking centers. There's fresh copies of popular magazines and daily newspapers, fresher coffee, TV screens tuned to news and finance programs, even a self-service, punch in your own access code gateway to the safe-deposit boxes.

It's cool, I was impressed, but I've seen "prototypes" before, and too often there's a vast gulf between the future and everywhere else. So imagine my surprise when I walked into a B of A branch in High Point recently. No clean, well-lighted lobby, no greeter, not one plasma TV. But behind the counter on the teller line, moving with alacrity behind the two or three busy young ladies - there is a gentlemen named Luis Ochoa. While I stand on line, Luis nods at me, says hello, assures me they'll be with me in a minute. Then - this is amazing - he opened a new teller line himself and invites me to him. He reaches out to shake my hand, introduces himself - "Hola, I'm Luis Ochoa, the manager of this bank" - and asks what he can do to help me.

I was becoming a reluctant believer - at least for now - in what Ken Lewis, B of A's chief, says about his focus on retail banking. Then I went into a branch at the foot of the Isle of Palms Connector in Mt. Pleasant, SC, on Friday, October 7. It was raining gangbusters outside, the drive-up teller lines were full, so I thought I'd take my chances inside. There I found no greeter, but one plasma screen (tuned to CNBC) on the teller line, a helpful teller who acted as though she wanted to help me, and in no time I was on my way.

This may really work.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any connection that the most luxurious branch was just outside the gates of one of America's weathiest enclaves?? What did Willie Sutton give as the reason he robbed banks...

1:15 PM  
Blogger Mark Burris - BURRIS said...

This is probably an accurate perception as far as the importance of this location as a prototype. It is certainly the high rent district. But I'm seeing plasma screens in other branches (including dear ol' High Point, NC), and overall there appears to be a focus on service. Even the new web site is more consumer friendly.

Willie Sutton would be thrilled with the self-service entrance to the safe deposit boxes.

5:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home